Wordsmith Wednesday (#1)



The objective:
Show us a scene from your current project. It can be creepy, adventurous, romantic, etc. Just a snippet to let readers see what they're in for!


The guidelines:
 * Must be from a current work-in-progress (WIP). Nothing already published.
 * You may choose from any section of the manuscript, but be mindful not to include spoilers.
 * Keep it clean and YA audience friendly, please. No erotica.
 * Stay under 300 words or about one page. It can be as little as a few lines if you prefer. We just want to give readers a chance to see everyone's selection.
 * Link back to Chirenjenzie to enjoy others' work as well!

Here's a snippet from my most recently finshed WIP, Steel Lily. Hope you enjoy it! :)


Running water echoed from the bathroom’s shower, and I cracked the door to try to be heard over the waterfall. “Alice? You okay? Sari said she hadn’t seen you today.”
Still no response. Panic began to set in. It wasn’t like Alice to ignore me. We were the only family we’d had for the past ten years. I stepped into the bathroom to find the fluffy carpet soaked with water, the carpet squelching under my feet as I took three steps toward the shower. True fear settled into my heart with each step; the lavender-scented water that had only this morning made me feel cleaner than ever now made me feel dirty.
Small runlets zigzagged their way down the huge mirrors where steam once was, but had now withered away to residual reminders of the once steaming room. It reminded me of teardrops, and ice filled my veins.
I ripped off my shoes and socks as I reached the shower, where the water cascaded down the small ledge that was adorned with river rocks. I slid the door open, afraid of what I’d find.
It was worse than I could have imagined.
Alice sat crunched up in the corner, her arms wrapped around her knees as she rocked back and forth. A fluffy white towel was now plastered to her body, soaked from the shower head pounding down on her small frame. Her body convulsed with alternating sobs and hiccups, and I panicked.
I got into the shower and got on my hands and knees, completely disregarding my uniform that I still wore. Ice-cold water showered my back and the hairs on my neck stood up as I gasped from the shock of the cold water. I grabbed Alice by the shoulders and shook her. “Alice, Alice! Are you okay? Are you hurt? What happened?”
There was no response, she simply cried with a revitalized strength. If she cried tears, I couldn’t tell. The water streamed down her matted hair and what was this morning a beautiful chignon, was now just a rat’s nest of bobby pins and a bow. She looked up at me and I saw that her careful lines of blue eyeliner now streaked and intermingled with mascara that slid down her soft cheeks, giving her a bruised and battered look.
That wasn’t what scared me, though.
Her once beautiful brown eyes were bloodshot to the point of hardly any white remaining. I pushed myself away in bewilderment, my mouth half open. She hiccupped as she tried to smile through the obvious, overwhelming pain she felt. “I’ve been wearing rose-colored glasses since we got here haven’t I, Avery?”

There you have it, folks! What do you think? If you're a writer, take part in the meme, or add a little of your latest WIP to the comments.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment