Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release Date: November 29, 2011
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Pages: 299
Received: Purchased
Rating: 4 out of 5 Books

GOODREADS BLURB:
Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don't kill him first, that is.





THE GOOD:
Ms. Armentrout is a phenomenal storyteller! The narrator of the book, Katy, is great, and keeps a fresh feeling sense of being a teenager throughout the book. I really enjoyed the relationships that were built throughout the book, and I loved Dee. She kind of reminded me of Alice from Twilight, but that isn't a bad thing...I think Alice was one of my favorite characters from that series! BUT! Obsidian is NOTHING like Twilight, so don't be scared if you didn't like it, and don't be bummed if you start reading this, looking for a Twilight-esque book. Armentrout is a strong writer and gives so much life to her characters, that you want to root for them all throughout the book. There are plenty of one-liners throughout that make you laugh at the wittiness of her characters, but it isn't over the top. Her world-building is fun and I enjoyed every twist and turn of this ride. You'll more than likely but up late into the night reading this. I know I was!

THE BAD:
I didn't like that in a few places Armentrout just expected her readers to accept that things "just were." I marked four different places where Daemon or Dee expressed that the bad guys (the Arum) "didn't need a reason" or that their own abilities were "just because we can." Once even Daemon says, "Matthew explained it to me once. Honestly, I wasn't paying attention." If you have abilities, wouldn't you know how they worked? Why would Katy just accept this cop-out of an explanation? I wasn't necessarily left out of anything that was detrimental, I don't think, but I really feel like Armentrout could have done a little bit better with her explanations on why things in her world were the way they were. She also used the phrase "Sweet Baby Jesus" at least five times, and while it was funny the first two or three, I got tired of reading it over and over. Just my opinion. :)

OVERALL:
Armentrout's voice was great and I loved reading from Katy's POV. She was an excellent narrator and held my attention. The sexual tension was great between her and Daemon, and I enjoyed waiting on that big kiss to happen. I think she lightly touched on what will become the crux of book two, and I wish she would have given me more, but I totally get why she ended where she did. She's got me hooked for the second installment for sure!! :) I had to take away a star for what I explained in "the bad" section, but this was a very entertaining read that you won't want to put down! Armentrout is an excellent storyteller and now I'm going to have to go get Half-Blood and see what that series is all about.

FAVORITE QUOTES:
"Beautiful face. Beautiful Body. Horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of hot boys."
* * *
"It was either him or me and my friends. That alien asshat had to go."

RATING: 4 of 5 Books


2 comments:

  1. I loved the favorite line, cuz, it is so true. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book! I have yet to read this one- but from your review there is more good than bad about this one. I enjoyed your honest review. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete